Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Last Week of School

My experience last year as the P.E. teacher in charge of field day (or three of them) in no way prepared me for the enormous waste of time the last week of school is. I have been thinking a lot on this recently. And I realized that there is no way around it. The last week must be a waste of time. If we shortened school a week, there would be a new last week. (Don't think too hard about this, it probably leads to a logical warp hole. Beware, here there be dragons.) Anyway, so the last week is when we cram in field day, dance festival, movies, and cleaning. The teachers especially like the help with cleaning. I know I wish I could personally borrow some of my children to help me pack up my apartment.

So. Today was dance festival and field day. The fifth grade, for ONCE this year did not fall on their face in front of the school or parents. Our dance was wonderful, and Lisa got compliments on it from various parents during field day. Yes, field day. The universal day of sunburn. No matter what precautions I take, I invariably end up looking like a much redder version of myself. (and freckled. I freckle when I tan/burn. Yep. Another blessing.)

Both of these activities ended early, leaving me even more time to entertain the troops. Unfortunately, these little fellas are not entertained by piano playing, singing, or dancing (well, if it comes down to it, I guess I could try those, but I really doubt if it would work.) Okay, so I'm rambling, just blame it on a case of the too-much-to-dos. Speaking of having too much to do, I do. Bye.

2 comments:

AmyJane said...

Amen sister. A huge, super, colossal waste of time. I think the best deal for every one would be to jsut suddenlly announce one day (teh week before the last week) that school is over. Then no one has to get all worked up waiting for it. Although it might only work once.

Michelle W said...

My favorite part is the excuse of kids not coming tomorrow: "I'll be in St. George." "I just don't want to." "Are we doing anything important?" (Just so ya know. NEVER ask that question if you want to live, even if the answer really is no.)