Saturday, January 24, 2009

Why I Haven't Posted: My New Hobby

So, it's not actually the reason that I haven't posted, but I've been busy with a new hobby.

I blame it on a knit night at Crazy Girl. I was sitting there knitting away, and in walks a man and his wife. She starts knitting; he starts spinning. Yep, he was making yarn. Oh, that was cool. He would just sit there and spin his spindle and make fiber into something to knit with. I was interested but too scared to really talk to him about it. Plus, let's face it, I didn't know if I was going to keep knitting as a passion. Three months later, I'm opening a spindle and fiber package for Christmas.

I am now making my own yarn. Don't get me wrong, I'm not spinning all my yarn, most of it will make some interesting projects, and I'm spinning 3 different spindles now, so I've only finished one mini skein.

My Christmas present
zebisischristmasgift
(from a wonderful shop: zebisis designs)

I spun the mini batt first. No pics of that one, but here's what I've managed I've managed to work on with this spindle.

Spinning on my Christmas spindle
ChristmasWIP

Here's a close-up of the yarn.
secondspin

Spinning on my Opalite flower spindle--fiber is BFL superwash from knit fit knitting
floweropalite


I also joined zebisisdesigns spindle and fiber of the month club with some money I received for Christmas. I got my first package this month. I LOVE IT!!!

goldstone

Spinning on my Goldstone spindle--Crazy Isis Art batt fiber
carlinabatt

3 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

That is *so* cool.

Megan said...

Don't do it!

Oh yes, it starts with some innocent spinning. Oh, lets try that color and hey that spindle looks pretty cool.

But just you wait. Give it a year and BAM! you'll just have to have a spinning wheel.

And then about a year later you'll have turned into someone like me.

4 sheep, a spinning wheel, and a drum carder.

And lots of dye ideas and deciding that you need to learn to knit.

At least, it COULD happen like that.

:)

My8kidsmom said...

Ah the spinning bug is quite contagious! You're spinning is gorgeous already! Have you been checking out wheels yet? We have just started a new swap at the Spindle Addicts Swap group on ravelry if you interested.....we are enablers!