Today, I went picking apples for the first time ever. By a fluke I had Internet last night and found out a group from church was going, so I decided to go as well since it would be a good opportunity to meet people, and I love apples. By the time I got to the meeting place, we were ready to go: four women and two toddlers and one baby (only 2 moms).
Off we went to Wilson Orchard in the drizzling rain. Before we went out, they let us sample some in-season apples: Prima, Red Baron, and Burgundy. The apples had been hit by some hail early in the season, so they were a bit pock marked, but they were delicious, if a bit ugly. The rain kept everyone else away, so we were on our own when it came to apple picking.
I have never seen so many types of apples, and they all ripen at different times. They had Gala, Golden Blush, Honey Crisp, Red Paula, and so many others I can't remember, plus all the traditional varieties. I also found some interesting looking Turkish ones. They were cylindrically shaped but not ripe yet, so I didn't take any home with me.
Dave is going to be really happy. Not only will he be getting an apple turnover and cider (purchased at the store there) but I will have to make some apple pie since we have SO many apples.
Now, if only I liked making pie crust.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you remember the wonderful apple picking times... We went a few times with Dad,Meme was with us once as well..
We also went with the ward, the Seversons,?? Does THAT ring a bell ?? Well, I had a lot of fun, even if you don't remember...
Love ya,
Mom
I love apples in the fall and like you, I'm not crazy about making pie crust. My husband loves apple pie though. Sometimes I just make apple crisp--much easier. You've made me hugry for apples now.
Post a Comment